We are all aware how quickly our businesses are hurtling faster and faster into a digital age, technology is changing every aspect of our lives, and our careers are no exception.
The World Economic Forum stated that:
“65% of the jobs that our children will do in the future don’t exist today”
Another report by Dell predicted that:
“85% of jobs from 2030 will be invented between now and then”
All of the King Recruit Team have children ranging from 2 to 12, it’s fascinating to think that our children will be embarking on careers that haven’t been invented yet.
Naturally, these facts can create a great deal of uncertainty on how to prepare for tomorrow’s trends in the workforce and business, but the advice is to embrace these exciting developments and changes – NOW!
So, what can we do to future proof ourselves and our careers?
The “Future of jobs survey 2018” from the World Economic Forum, has compared a skills demand, what’s trending and what will be declining in 2022.
On trend for 2022:
- Analytical thinking and innovation
- Active learning and learning strategies
- Creativity, originality and initiative
- Technology design and programming
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Complex problem solving
- Leadership and social influence
- Emotional Intelligence
- Reasoning and ideation
- Systems analysis and evaluation
On the decline for 2022:
- Manual dexterity, endurance and precision
- Memory, verbal, auditory and spatial abilities
- Management of financial, material resources
- Technology installation and maintenance
- Reading writing math and active listening
- Management of personnel
- Quality control and safety awareness
- Coordination and time management
- Visual, auditory and speech abilities
- Technology use monitoring and control.
Reading between the lines of what’s on the decline most of these skills can be replaced by technology.
In order to select the right people, employers will need to be testing for ‘future potential’ and therefore looking for:
- Potential over performance
- Soft skills over hard skills
- Flexibility over convention
We’ll leave you with a question –
“With increased remote working and self-management – will there even be a need for Management or Leadership in the traditional sense?”
Join the conversation #futuretalenttoday @kingrecruit1
If your business is struggling to recruit for the skills shortage or have questions on how to future proof your recruitment strategy, please contact the King Recruit Team on T:01392 790725 or E:email@example.com